Saturday, January 11, 2014

31 Days to a Cleaner Home-Day 5: Perfection


Perfection.
The force that stops us.

I don't know about you but I tend to want things 
to be done the way I want them to be done. 
I want to have things perfect.
I grew up hearing these words

If you're going to bother doing anything,
You had better do it the right way the first time.
The only right way to do something is my way, 
and you had better do it perfectly or 
don't bother starting it to begin with.

No these were not the exact words that were said but that is what I heard.
That fear of not being able to meet a certain level of perfection or worse failing 
can completely stop us from moving forward or trying something new.

Over Christmas I had a huge realization.
God does not call us to be perfect.
He knew that from before the beginning of time, 
from before He created the world, 
that we could not live up to that standard.
He does however call us to finish well.
To do everything with our whole heart.

It isn't about how perfect we can do something,
but rather to do it with the right heartitude.
To be a good and faithful steward of the things we've been given.
To finish projects well.

Take some time to read Matthew 25:14-30
Isn't it wonderful and liberating that God says:
"Well done good and faithful one"
He never says anything about perfection.

I have those tendencies to want things to be perfect.
To have things be 'just so' but then fear creeps in and paralyzes me.
My biggest goal for myself this year is to finish well.
Not perfect. Well.
I don't want my desires for things to have things be perfect to get in the way 
of finishing well and making our lives better.



What project has perfection been stopping you from?
I want you go to for it today! 
Let go of perfection.
Finish it well!
Do your best and let that be enough.

You were born to be real,
Not to be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment