Tuesday, January 21, 2014

31 Days to a Cleaner Home-Day 15: Time Vortex


I wish I had more time!
Time goes by so fast!
Time flies when you're having fun.
If only I had the time to do all of the things I want to.
If only we could freeze time.
There are just not enough hours in the day.





Time. 
We are all given the exact same number of hours in a day.
Yet it seems like some people have more time than others.
It's not really that they have more hours in a day it's just that 
they use that time more wisely.

I saw a thing on pinterest about how 
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
I don't agree with that statement.
Time spent reading a book and engaging your mind is not wasted time.
Time spent practicing the piano is not wasted time.
Time spent with family and friends is not wasted time.
Time spent caring for our homes and our families is not wasted time.
Those are all things I enjoy and they are investments I have chosen to make.

But we do waste a lot of our time.
Watching TV.
On social media sites.
Playing video games.

Am I saying that all use of those things are wrong?
Definitely not!
My husband and I love to watch a movie or show on TV together.
I use social media to keep in touch with family and friends all over the world.
I encourage my husband to take time to play video games with some of his guy friends.
But again this is time invested in others.

The trouble is we waste so much time on things that have no real value.

You make time for the things that are most important to you.

Ouch. 
So what things are important to you?
I heard a quote the other day that really struck me.

"God has given you...Sufficient time in each day 
for you to fulfill His perfect plan-
Including the interruptions."
-Chuck Swindoll

Some days I really feel like I'm on a roll.
I'm doing great.
Three loads of laundry completely done, two more are going, 
dishes are done, floors are swept, I've got four other things going and then
"MOMMMM!!!!" 

Our children are not burdens or inconveniences.
They are beautiful little people that God has entrusted us with.
But man do they like to interrupt.
Did you read that quote up there?
Read it again, go ahead, I can wait....
"Including the interruptions."
God has given us time for the little people in our lives.
Make the most of it.
Because...the days are long but the years are short.

I don't want for my children to one day look back and say 
"My mom was a great house keeper. She was always cleaning. I just wish
she'd had more time to play with me. That would have been nice."
I would much rather them say 
"While our house wasn't spotless, mom always had time for us."

So how do you use your time?
Make the most out of the amazing modern machines like 
dishwashers and washing machines.
Get your kids involved.
And some days just let it go till the kids are in bed and make the day all about them.

Go through the drawers in the kitchen and see if there is 
anything that can make it's way to the donation station.
Are there utensils that you avoid using because you don't like them?
Stop avoiding them. Put them in their place. Someone else may love them.
Go through the cupboards as well and see if there is anything expired.
Pitch old candy.
If you store stuff up on the fridge go through the stuff up there too 
then wash it down when you're done.
Do a quick wipe down of the cupboards, drawers and counter tops.
Wet a wash cloth and put it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
After the wash cloth has cooled down enough to handle, wipe out the microwave.
Don't forget to wipe the outside too.

Make the most use of your time today.
And tonight maybe sit down, watch a movie, and snuggle with your babes.
Be sure to stay totally unplugged and engaged with them for this time.
Social media and the rest of the world can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment