Sunday, January 26, 2014

31 Days to a Cleaner Home-Day 20: Life Happens...Even on Sundays.


Sunday is one of my favorite days of the week.
It's a day spent as a family. 
We go to Church as a family.
We eat all of our meals as a family.
I take some time to look ahead to the up coming week.
My husband is home to help get the kids to bed and spend time just the two of us.

While I believe Sunday's should be a day of rest for everyone, 
sometimes this just isn't possible.

Today my husband has commitments at church and we have two sick loves.
While Sunday is usually hopefully a day of rest I also know that isn't always the case.
Things happen. Life happens.
People get sick and other unforeseen things come up.

If today is remotely like the last few days I will have to do at least one load of laundry.
Probably give at least one child a bath from the sickies.
Disinfect the bathroom.
And most importantly, snuggle, hold, and sooth my sick babes.

So on days like today.
A Sunday that still requires more work than usual.
Less rest than we'd like.
And who know's if I'll even get to look at what this weeks demands are.
I know God will give me strength to do what needs to be done today.


While we're chatting about having sickies in the home, 
let me share with you some of my favorite tips to help keep your home from feeling sick without having to put in tons and tons of work.

Baking Soda is your friend.

If bodily fluids end up on the floor and you need to tend to the sick child first, put baking soda all over it. Cover it with a pretty thick layer of it and let it sit.Let it absorb the moisture and let it dry. This also works for those times when our furry friends get sick on the floor.
This will help with a couple of things. 
1) The smell.
     You know what I'm talking about. It literally stinks when someone gets sick.
     Baking soda neutralizes the acids and it helps prevent stains.
     I always feel like my home is sick if it smells like sick.
2) It makes it easier to clean up.
     Believe me it totally grossed me out to have icky stuff on the floor. However, I was able        to easily take a paper towel and my dust pan and simply scoop everything up in one                shot. It was completely worth letting it sit and take care of my child while the baking              soda did the hard work for me. Or if it ended up on the carpet you can simply vacuum it        up.

Always keep disinfecting wipes in the house.
I can not tell you how many times in the last few days I told my husband that we will ALWAYS have disinfecting wipes in our hose.
With a sick little one it's so nice to just quick grab a wipe and wipe down any contaminated surfaces.Changing mats, sinks, sink knobs, points of contact in the home like light switches and door knobs. Places where we're likely to pick up something if hands haven't gotten a really good wash.

A good all purpose cleaner.

After the sick today our bathroom smelled horrible.
I felt like the whole house was starting to stink.
Plus now my bathroom felt really dirty to me.
I grabbed my favorite all purpose cleaner by Clean Couture and sprayed three areas of the bathroom.
The toilet (handle, lid, and bowl), the sink, and the tub and I walked away.
No wiping. No scrubbing. I just sprayed it on and walked away.
It left my bathroom smelling wonderful and I felt like the room was much cleaner.
So while today might not be quite as restful as I'd like and may require a bit more work than I usually do, It's ok. I'm beyond blessed to be married to the sweet man that I am and that I get to be the mommy to these two awesome boys. I'm happy to take care of them and find easy ways to keep our home feeling and smelling clean even when we have the sickies.


No comments:

Post a Comment