Monday, November 5, 2012

Thirty Days of Thankful: Day 5


Sunday night my husband, kids, and I all went to our local Family Video to pick out a few movies. While we were there trying to decide what to rent there was a man who I would guess to be about 30 in an army uniform.

Now just recently my 2 year old has gotten into Star Wars, Superheroes, Army Men, and any movie/show/toys in which there is flying and shooting. And if you know my son at all you know he is not shy at all and says hi to everyone.

I could tell that this man in uniform had caught Monkey’s attention. My son just stood there looking at him trying to figure it out and I could tell he was hoping to be able to say hi to this soldier. My husband realizing that Monkey was no longer looking at the movies looked to see what had gotten his full attention.

My husband knelt down next to our son and told him “That’s a REAL army guy.”
Monkey’s expression started to change. I told him, “He’s a real life hero.”
His little eyes lit up and in his sweet little boy voice he very excitedly said “HI!!!”
The man turned to him and said “Hi Buddy.”
My son, who at this point was completely blown away that this real life army hero took notice of him and even said ‘hi’ back to him; turned to me with these great big eyes and exclaimed “Mommy!!!! He said ‘Hi’ to ME!!!!”

Now I have to confess at this point I had tears in my eyes.
Standing there watching my son in complete awe of a soldier.
My sweet little boy who has no idea that our county is currently at war, no idea that there are mommies and daddies who don’t get to see their kids every day because they’re on the other side of the world, no idea that our way of life is what that very man and so many others are defending as well as trying to give so many others a better life.

So today I am thankful for the brave men and women in uniform, both past and present, along with their families who have sacrificed so much for our country.
Thank you for fighting for us, our families, our freedom, for protecting us as well as those overseas.

So no matter what your position is on the war please, next time you see a man or woman in uniform, take a moment to stop and say thank you. And pray for them and their family.

Now for some pictures* of some real life heroes:
(all of whom I have had the honor and privileged of knowing them and/or their spouse personally)












*All pictures used with permission. I do not own the rights to the photographs in this post. Please respect those in the photographs and do not repost or use the photographs in any way without consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment