Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Restless


Lately Bug has been restless.
He turns and wiggles in his bed a lot.
Lightly whimpers and grips at his sheets.
Sometimes he'll only sleep for 10 minutes at a time.

The only time he seems to really settle down and rests is when he's in my arms,
held close to my chest.
This cycle is one that I find exhausting. 
It's hard not to get frustrated.

But then as I got thinking about it, we do the same thing as adults.
Okay so maybe it is slightly different but it really isn't that far off.

We’re so busy so much of the time.
There is always so much to do.
We have places to go, people to see, stuff to get done.
We might sleep at night but even then our minds are going.
We multitask constantly and hardly ever give our full attention to any one thing.

We worry and stress about the economy, our children, our jobs.
Maybe you have a loved one currently battling for their life.
Maybe your son or daughter is distant and getting into trouble.
You feel like your marriage is falling apart and all you do is argue with your spouse.
You just lost your primary income and don’t know how you’re going to pay your mortgage payment or keep from having your heat turned off.

You just keep moving.
We think that maybe if I just keep going, if I push a little harder, work a little longer, yell a little louder, that maybe just maybe something will change.
But nothing changes.
We begin to feel like we have hit rock bottom.
We feel lost and alone.

Sometimes we get so restless that we start to turn to other things for peace.
Drugs. Alcohol. The arms of someone other than the one we married.
We think that something has to work.
Something will help numb or at least dull the pain we’re currently experiencing.
But no matter how hard we try nothing works.

But did you know, that just like when I hold my son close to me and he feels the warmth of my arms around him, there is someone who wants to hold you like that too?!

You can run into the arms of your Heavenly father.
He wants nothing more than for you to curl up like a little child into His arms,
Dump all of your cares and worries, and to find rest.
God loves us so much more than we could ever begin to understand.
Yes, bad things happen. Sometimes things don’t go the way we want.
But no matter where we are and no matter what is going on in our lives God is still there.

Can you imagine loving someone so much that you would give up your only child to die in their place? I know I can’t. But THAT is how much God loves you. No matter what you've done, no matter where you are, He loves you right there.

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
Matthew 11:28-30 -the Message



Take a few minutes today and close your eyes, listen to this song and soak up God's love.
Ask Him to give you rest. Real rest. He will you know. You just simply have to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment