Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lonely

Today I'd like to talk about something we all feel at times but no one talks about.



(Que song)
..."One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one..."

-Three Dog Night-



I was at a girls day out with some lovely ladies from my church this morning and during lunch we had a short devotional time.The topic: Loneliness.

We were told to remember a time when we were lonely and to remember how that felt.
I began thinking back to when I first got married and moved to a new town.
We started attending a new church.
I started working at a new place.
And I didn't know anyone.

I was lonely.

We were then told to close our eyes and state words or a single sentence of what comes to mind when we think of Lonely. 
"Cold, distant, forgotten, sad, depressed, empty, alone."
These were just some of the things said to describe lonely.

There were so many times I was in a crowded room and I felt completely isolated.
I could be laughing and joking around, yet inside I felt like I was dying.

The thing of it is...It's EASY to stay lonely.
We don't always realize it but we can tend to stay in our shell.
Truth of it is, it's really difficult to admit that we're lonely to others.
If we were really honest with ourselves we might even admit that it's scary.
We're afraid that we're the only ones that are feeling that way.
That others will judge us and look at us differently.

But the thing of it is..we're only as alone as we allow ourselves to be.
We are not alone. There are so many people feeling lonely too.
Even King David wrote about his loneliness:

"Turn to me and be gracious to me,
For I am lonely and afflicted."
-Psalm 25:16

"I lie awake, 
I have become like a 
lonely bird on a housetop."
-Psalm 102:7

We were then reminded (after being told to take the hand of the person sitting next to us) 
that God is closer to us than the hand we're holding.
He is with you.
Have I not commanded you? 
Be strong and courageous! 
Do not tremble or be dismayed, 
for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
-Joshua 1:9

He is always with you. 

Reach out.
Take a moment to set your fears aside and reach out to someone.
Talk to God about your loneliness and ask Him to bring someone into your life.
I was very blessed and was given a wonderful friend just one I needed one most.
Turns out shortly there after she would need a friend too. (But that is a whole different story.)
I saw this today at this cute little shoppe on a sign
"The best time to make friends is before you need them"
Chances are if you're in need of a friend, someone else is too.



2 comments:

  1. Gaaaaa! So important! It's so easy to fall into sin when you are lonely, too. Single parents, take note, do NOT be alone when 9pm hits! If everyone would just reach out to that vulnerable, lonely person, it would make such a huge difference. Thanks for the great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing, a good reminder. I remember feeling much the same way when I moved a few years back.

    ReplyDelete