Thursday, November 13, 2014

Little miracles in the everyday

I think sometimes we're so busy, so on the go, so fast, that we miss the little miracles in the everyday. But they're there. Maybe it's that we brush it off as coincidence or maybe it's that we're just too jaded to see it for what it is. Regardless of our attention they are still there.
I think God wants to remind us of his love in little ways throughout our day but so many times we miss it. He knew I would need this very thing now.

I had a little miracle in the form of  dryer lint.
I know what you're thinking, "It's official Jessica has completely and totally lost it." but really hear me out.

This story starts around 5 months ago.

My husband and I were chatting together and out of habit he looked down to turn his ring so the diamond was facing up. Mid sentence my husband let out an "OH NO!!" When I asked him what was wrong he told me the diamond in his ring was gone. Missing.



I stopped vacuuming around the house. We don't have carpets so that isn't a huge deal.
Every time I swept the house I would sift through the dirt looking, searching, hoping I would find the missing diamond.
Nothing.

A couple of months went by of me doing this.
Hoping that maybe it would randomly show up but it never did.
I finally gave up.
I went back to sweeping and vacuuming the way I usually did.
I mean for all I knew it fell out when hubby was at work or when we were out for a walk.
Who knows. But it was gone. Long gone.

Fast forward to today.
Just a typical day.
Mundane tasks that must be done to ensure our house runs smoothly.
Laundry.
There are a few tasks around the house that are not a particular favorite of mine.
Laundry and Dishes.
I mean really when you can search my blog for Laundry and get three pages of results I think it means I really don't enjoy doing it and tell you all about it...a lot.

So here I am today.
I went in to the laundry room to see if the clothes were dry.
As I'm walking in something sparkled and caught my eye just below the dryer door.
I bent my pregnant self down to see what it was.
And there, in the midst of dirt and dryer lint was my husband's diamond for his ring.




I have no idea how it got there.
Did it fall out in a pocket and go through the washer and dryer and came out in the lint?
Did it fall out when he was helping with laundry in the dryer and it took all the time to work its way out of the dryer?
I have no idea how it ended up there.
Also for the record that dirt and dryer lint was not 5 or so months old.
I had swept it all up not that long ago.
But there it was sitting on top of a plastic bag mixed in with dirt and dryer lint.

I really will never know how it ended up there.
Or how the light from the only window caught it just right so I noticed it.
But oh I am so thankful for the little miracle of finding my husband's long lost diamond 5+ months after it was discovered missing.


It's now tucked safely away in a plastic bag with "DON'T THROW OUT" written all over it and inside of a box in my desk. I'm so thankful today for this tiny miracle.

My husband's response to this whole thing? "Why, the prodigal son has returned... You may never see the diamond in the rough, but did you check the dryer lint?"


What little miracles have you seen in your life lately?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! My mom lost a stone out of her anniversary ring once, she had vacuumed the floor, so we sifted through the vacuum cleaner bag with no luck. A week later, she saw a glint of light from the carpet next to her desk, and there it was resting neatly on top of the carpet. Who knows how it got there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm a little paranoid! My husband has the same exact ring! I wonder if I can take it to the jewelers to get reexamined just in case it's a little loose...

    ReplyDelete